Friday 22 July 2011

Exercise 1: Focal Length and Angle of View


This exercise is to see how focal length and angle of view are related and to find out the standard focal length for my camera.

I have a wedding in Northampton tomorrow so have done a route check this morning, they are stopping at Delapre Abbey between ceremony and reception and while I was there I undertook this exercise.
 


f7.1 1/100s ISO200 35mm


I didn’t have a lens that would give me a ‘standard’ view, where the view through the lens looks the same as through the unaided eye.  Above are two images one taken at 20mm and one taken at 35mm, standard is somewhere in the middle around 27mm.

 F7.1 1/100's ISO200 10mm

Next I took an image with the widest setting on my Sigma 10mm-20mm lens, there is a lot more ground before the gates, also the field of view is greater with the row of trees on the left and the gate on the right now in the image.

F6.3 1/320's ISO200 300mm


The last image I took with the biggest zoom on my Canon 75mm-300mm lens.  In this image you can no longer see the gate or any greenery; instead you see all of the details in the windows.

Returning to the location with the print outs, the standard shot would need to be held at approx. arm’s length to appear the same as the actual view.  The wide angle print need to be held impossibly close to my eye and the zoomed print further away that I could reach without someone to hold it and walk backwards away from me holding it up.

From this exercise I learnt the standard length for my camera is approx. 27mm.  I had done this exercise previously when studying City and Guilds though that was with a film camera, but it did confirm that a short focal length includes more in the image and alters perspective with objects appearing smaller than through the unaided eye.  With the zoom lens the field of view is much smaller and objects appear larger than through the unaided eye offering a different perspective again on the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment