Wednesday 27 July 2011

Exercise 5 –Shutter Speed – Panning


This second exercise on shutter speeds involves following (panning) with the movement at various shutter speeds to see the effect it has on the image.

By the time I started this exercise they had started a scrimmage rather than drills. I took the camera off the tripod to be able to pan with the action.  Again as in the last exercise light conditions were not good enough for really high shutter speeds i.e. 1/400’s.

F2.8, ISO1600, 1/500's, 200mm

At shutter speeds of 1/500’s and faster all the action is sharp and the background.

F2.8, ISO1600, 1/320's, 200mm

F8, ISO1600, 1/40's, 200mm

With the shutter speed set between /320’s and 1/40’s I managed to keep the main focus point on the player sharp but the backgrounds get more and more motion blur in them.

(*)  F16, ISO1600, 1/15's, 200mm

By the time the shutter speed got down to 1/25’s - 1/15's the focus subject starts to loose sharpness.

F22, ISO1600, 1/8's, 200mm

Anything with a shutter speed of 1/8’s and slower the images get more and more abstract with the motion blur.

Of all the photographs taken for the two shutter speed exercises my favourite is the one taken at for this exercise at 1/15’s (marked with a *).  It really portrays the speed of the sport but still maintains enough detail that you can tell what it is and know the team colours.

The blurring in an image definitely gives more sense of speed.  I prefer a balance somewhere in the middle, enough sharpness to see some of the detail in the subject but also the motion blur you get when panning with the subject.  Which shutter speed/method I choose in the future will depend on the job brief and what the image is going to be used for.  I think I will try getting a few ‘banker’ shots using a fast shutter speed and panning first before making more of an effort to get some with a slower shutter speed.

This exercise would have been easier if I had waited to do using race cars as hockey players tend to weave in and out and not pass in a straight line making panning harder.  However the results came out as expected and I wanted to push myself to improve my skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment