Thursday 4 August 2011

Exercise 10 – Focal Lengths and Difference Viewpoints


I chose to use the Octo (Figure of eight) sculpture for this exercise.  It is a well know piece of art in Milton Keynes and due to it’s location allows room to photograph from a distance, with a telephoto lens, but also to get up close with a wide angle lens.

When I got there first thing I noticed was the awful smell, it was the water around Octo, it’s always been there, though not noticed the smell before but had forgotten about.  I was concerned that it would affect my wide angle photograph as was planning to get up close underneath.

F5, ISO200, 1/160s, 180mm
 F9, SIO200, 1/80s, 20mm

Although I have tried to fill the frame the same with both focal lengths when I look at the one taken with the smallest focal length I definitely feel that I am closer to it, which I was.  The effect on the Octo’s relation to the surround area is hugely different.  With the small focal length it appear to be even taller  than the building it is outside and it appears to be quite a distance in front of the trees behind.  With the larger focal length Octo only appears to be the height of the shops below the office is it outside and the trees in the background look to be almost touching it.   

On a more general comparison note between the two the images, the one taken with the shorter focal length has a more artistic feel to it, just a shame it was such a bland sky the day I done this exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment