Monday 15 August 2011

Exercise 12 - Positioning the horizon


This exercise is about illustrating how the horizon divides a landscape.  I have been wanting to do this exercise for a few days now but the weather hasn’t been too great when I’ve had the time to go out.  In the end I went to the high point in Campbell  Park.

 I started off by positioning the horizon high in the frame

 Then moved it slightly further down the frame but still quite high, to put a bit more sky in the frame but not too much as it wasn’t interesting and the landscape contained more interest.

 I took one more with the horizon still in the upper section of the frame to include a bit more of the sky (*).

 The fourth image from the set has the horizon in the centre of the frame which has a very static effect.

 I then took a few images with the horizon lower in the frame, this one is with it just below the centre.

 As the horizon gets lower in the frame more emphasis is given to the sky, which on this particular day was not a good thing.

 With the horizon now much lower in the frame your eye is drawn to the detail in the sky,  In some cases I can see how this would be a desired effect but not on this occasion due to the lack of interest in the sky area.


Out of this set of images I prefer the third image (*) with the higher horizon in the frame, giving great emphasis to the patterns in the foreground leading to the pond and the statue beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment