Monday 29 August 2011

Thinking about Assignment 1


I am getting close to finishing the exercises in Part 1 now, just two left to go and am starting to give more thought to the first assignment.  While doing the exercises I have had the assignment in mind and taken some photographs that I thought I might use.


One contrast I wanted to do was dark/light. 



I took this photograph with Dark in mind early on, it was during a late evening walk around one of the lakes in Milton Keynes and I really like the dark, menacing feel to the image, the silhouette of the bird flying into the dying sunlight adds a much needed focal point and really makes the photograph work.



As a contract to this I wanted the photograph for Light to also to be a sky scene and yesterday between the showers the perfect opportunity came to capture the photograph which I think is a perfect contrast.  It was taken in monochrome, with a red filter and a blue tone.

The other contrast I’ve had in mind for a while is Straight/Curved.  As soon as I saw this one I though about staircases.



I remembered a set of steep(ish) straight steps that lead from the car park up to the peace pagoda at Willen which I had photographed many years ago in Autumn so headed there.  I took several images on the day but have settled on this photograph for straight, I decided to use black and white for this contrast to emphasis the shapes and remove and distractions colour may have caused.


There is set of metal spiral steps on the outside of the Odeon cinema ‘The Point’ in Central Milton Keynes and this is what I have photographed for Curved.


1 comment:

  1. Looking back on this one i'm not totally 100% happy with the curved photographs, if I have time I might try this one again or look for something else

    ReplyDelete